Things do seem to come along in batches, don’t they? We heard on Tuesday this week from a client who suffered a small fire over the Bank Holiday weekend when an electric toothbrush on charge suddenly went bang. On Wednesday, I was obtaining household quote details from a neighbour who had had exactly the same thing happen a couple of months ago. Today, a friend who works in Trading Standards sent out a warning about phone chargers coming in cheaply from the Far East which are overheating and catching fire almost as a routine.

So, please don’t leave devices plugged in and unattended – I admit that I have done this with with toothbrushes and beard trimmer. Also, don’t leave them on overnight. It wouldn’t do to wake up – or NOT – in choking smoke.

Simple precautions save lives.